Monday, April 09, 2007

Apologies for Slavery

I do not want to sound crude when I discuss the new apologies for slavery, but when it was discussed on the New Republic I felt it was an important issue to discuss.

I agree that individual state governments and the federal government should pass resolutions expressing regret and apologies for the institution of slavery. However, I have overheard some discussion of "slavery reparations," I disagree with this idea for one main reason. I do not believe that there is one living individual who was enslaved. Families are able to trace their lineage to former slaves, however they did not suffer and they therefore do not deserve to be paid for others suffering.

Our country and government has larger problems, and handing out money to families of former slaves is not going to change anything. I personally believe this just another way for people to make money off our government, that could be put to good use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Reuben. Some are arguing that reparations to the Japanese what were sent to internment camps sets some sort of precedent. Though those japanese-americans that were given reparations were the families those who were sentenced to internment camps, there are too many descendents of slaves to be able to manage such a project - the Fed cannot even manage to give out money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina - fraud would be seen on such a level unparalleled even by that in Hurricane Katrina.