Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My thoughts on the State of the Union

Tonight's State of the Union address had few surprises to me. Personally I think a lot of his proposal cheaper health care, immigration reform, et cetera are things he has been trying to accomplish for a few years. I do not see this speech changing his popularity level or changing much of the policy over the next 2 years, he really is a lame duck.

Let me discuss Iraq. In a post-speech interview with Anderson Cooper, Senator Kit Bond (R-Missouri) said "the President has given us a new direction." Which is completely true it is important to realize that his new policy is more than a surge in troops but a brand new strategy. The strategy holds Prime Minister Nuri al-Malaki and the Iraqi government to a new level and saying that they must act. I feel that the legislation coming out of Congress is not helping bring an end to the War in Iraq. The Democrats continue not to offer another strategy. I agree with the President that we must "give the strategy a chance" to work. The new strategy forces Iraqi's take on al-Sadar's army and take political control. I agree that this policy is our best chance for success. The Presidents statement that we are no longer in the war that we entered is completely true but it is not a war which we can leave unfinished.

I feel that the Presidents speech was an out stretched arm to Democrats and opposing Republicans to work together over the next 2 years on the domestic and foreign agendas. An early CNN poll says that 41% of Americans see the speech as "very positive." I agree that it was positive and that we will see some changes in partisanship.

What do you think?

Did you like the Presidents State of the Union address?
Yes!
No!
I didn't watch!
pollcode.com free polls

No comments: